Package support in Erlang: Status ?

Wiger Ulf ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sun Apr 20 09:35:37 CEST 2003

From: "Richard Carlsson" <richardc@REDACTED>

> So far I've had almost no feedback at all from users, so if you read this
> and
> have tried using packages, then please do let everybody know what you
think!

I'm using packages, and am fairly positive so far. I don't think there are
many
drawbacks, and the package concept does solve the problem of module
name space -- I find that a great relief.

I have suggested a patch to the release handler (systools_make) that makes
it able to build boot scripts even if package names are used. I have noted
that embedded mode code loading doesn't work, and that this is due to
the fact that erl_prim_loader does not regognize packages. This module is
special, in that it's statically linked into the Erlang VM; otherwise, the
problem
is not difficult to fix.

I have also privately suggested that Erlang allow "dotted atoms" (that is,
without single quotes) in other places as well, e.g. in registered names,
ets tables, etc. This would make package support feel a little less like an
afterthought, and more like an integrated part of the language.

/Uffe