Documentation project (was: Re: Top Ten Lists)

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Sun Apr 13 16:44:39 CEST 2003

> On this subject - are the documentation HTML files generated from some
> underlying format?  Or is it OK to submit patches on them directly?

If you mean the normal Erlang documentation, it is written in
SGML. Each image is in two formats, GIF and PostScript/EPS. From this
we generate Unix manual pages, HTML and LaTeX. From LaTeX we generate
PostScript/PDF.  The conversion tool is mainly written in Erlang. It
uses nsgmls as a parser.  I know nsgmls can do XML (I don't know how
well) so maybe it is not that hard to convert the tool to use XML as
input instead of SGML.

The preparation for releasing the SGML tool as OpenSource is
unfinished. I may be wrong but I think it is not that much left.
A "we want that tool now please" may be enough to get it out
the door ;-)

kent