Complexity Shock Horror II: the Sequel (was Re: MD5 in erlang.)

Raimo Niskanen raimo.niskanen@REDACTED
Fri Apr 11 10:26:11 CEST 2003

Finally, some feedback!. Too bad it was mostly negative. Discussion
inserted below.

/ Raimo

Robert Virding wrote:
> I will reply to this mail instead of Raimo's reply to my reply.

I thougth a lot about using ~#, but could not decide if it should output
uppercase or lowercase letters, and I could not find another similar
character for the other case (upper/lower).

Therefore I selected x/X.

>>This gives the general x/X:
>>io_lib:format("~.16x", [-31,"0x"]) -> "-0x1f"
>>io_lib:format("~.16X", [-31,"0x"]) -> "-0x1F"
>>b/B is just x/X with empty prefix:
>>io_lib:format("~.16b", [-31]) -> "-1f"
>>io_lib:format("~.16B", [-31]) -> "-1F"
>

> No I defintely don't like it! Two major objections:
> 1. You are adding a completely new concept with an option to have an
> included string in the middle of an output, this is not consistent with

The problem is that to be able to output "-16#1f" for -31 and "16#1f for
+31, something ("16#") has to be inserted between the sign and the number.

> anything. I am strongly for consistency and simplicity. Otherwise why not go

So am I, but only as long as it also is useful.

> for the complete set of Common Lisp options and we can scrap half of the
> libraries in one fell swoop.
> 2. If you are using x/X for hex then b/B definitely suggests _B_inary!

I am not using x/X for hex, it is for prefiXed output, and b/B is for
any-Base integer (x/X is also any-base, by the way). The only one
necessaryis x/X, since b/B is just x/X with empty prefix string, but I
think it would be awkward to have to give an empty prefix string in the
farily common cases when you do not want any prefix.

> 3. I don't really understand why we need to directly support other language
> formats. This just a grumble!

Well, there are lots of applications that needs to write files that are
to be read by alien applications, so it should be possible, and fairly
simple.

> Also if u/U and b/B mean hex why the .16? Or do you mean that they mean bit
> output and you give the base in the precision? So can you write "~.8b" to
> get octal? Otherwise it is completely redundant and very confusing.

Yes, .16 is the base. Allowed bases are 2 throught 36, with default 10.

>>and u/U is the same as b/B with the argument integer 'band'ed with
>>((1<<WordSize)-1):
>>io_lib:format("~.16U", [31,32]) -> "1F"
>>io_lib:format("~.16u", [-31,32]) -> "ffffffe1"
>>io_lib:format("~8.16.0u", [31,32]) -> "0000001f"
>>io_lib:format("~8.16.0U", [-31,32]) -> "FFFFFFE1"
>

> Some objections here:
>
> 1. I assume the second argument is the "word size". Why add an extra option
> for something which already exists in the language? Why can't the user just
> write 31 band 255 and be done with. As people have rightly pointed out there
> is already too much junk in the libraries without adding more unneccessary
> stuff!

Convenience! I think it might be fairly common to output an unsigned
word. The suggestion from Happi had a binary bit field of this sort, but
it was only base 2.

> 2. You are using the field width inconsistently! It does not mean the width
> of the outputed data but the total width of allowed field to output the
> data. If there is not enough data to fill the field padding is inserted.
> Using the precision is consistent with intent. Like I did! :-)

Sorry, I am to stupid to understand your second sentence. And I have no
access to your suggestion so I do not know how you did it. It was
Happi's suggestion that got me started.

I do not think I use the field width inconsistently. It is the only
parameter I have not tampered with - I use the precision field
inconsistently! The 3'rd line in the example above outputs a 32 bit wide
  unsigned word in base 16 in a 8 character wide field, padded with zero
characters. It is a trick to get the same width for negative and
positive numbers since I did not want to use yet another character for
zero padding to word size, which of course is a possibility.

And I am not certain I am using the precision field inconsistently,
either. It already means different things for different format characters.

> 3. (Sarcastically) If I do io:format("~8.16u", [31,"0x"]) will that insert
> "0x" somewhare in the output?

Unfortunately impossible since ~u must know if it has extra arguments in
the argument list. They are mandatory.

The only arguments that can be optional are field width, precision and
padding character. That is why I put number base in the precision field,
since there is a natural default (10). Mandatory arguments can be put in
the argument list, and do not have to be numeric. That is why I put the
prefix string there.

>>Objections, anyone?
>

> Yes, defintely lots of objections! Too many inconsistencies and wrong usage
> of existing features to be allowed in! Cover the language needs first and
> let the users handle special cases. Adding this would be Big Lose!

It should be easy to handle common "special cases".

> I know the io:format options aren't the best but at least they are
> consistent.
>
> You mentioned somewhere else a ~- option, this could be useful for
> io:fwrite. The io:fread option would be useful but I think the option
> shouldn't use a generic u.

Why not ~u, what do you mean generic? It was supposed to be consistent
with my suggestion of u/U for unsigned output. I have not suggested an
option for scanning any-base integers i.e ~# could scan both "16#1f" and
"8#37", is this what you are looking for? My ~16u would scan "1f", and
to scan "-16#1f" you would have to know which base you are expecting and
use ~-16#~u to scan it. Not quite satisfactory.

~- for fwrite, that is a thought. Then you could (if ~u now output the
absolute value and did not take a wordsize argument) do:
	U = -31,
	io:fwrite("~-16#~.16u", [U,U]) -> "-16#1f".
This makes it hard to make use of the field width, though. Especially
for right adjusted and padded fields. How would you e.g output a
"......-16#123abc" field? This also speaks for having a prefix string a
s argument to the format character.

Or, did you think of another use of ~-?

> Robert

The demands I have are:
1) It must be possible to output signed Erlang style base prefixed
integers "-16#1abc"in at least bases 2..16, but why not 2..36,
preferably in both lowercase and uppercase.
2) It should be possible to output 2..36 base integers with other
prefixes (also no prefix), even if the numbers are negative, in both
lowercase and uppercase.
3) It should be fairly simple to interprete a number as a unsigned word
of any width and print it like "0000".."FFFF" or also "0".."FFFF". If
you can output unprefixed it is of course easy to do with the band
operator and zero pad character.

Fortunately, there is still some time left to R9C checkin stop, to
decide on an implementation reasonable for everyone.