OTP development, was Re: Gaga about bifs

Ingela Anderton ingela@REDACTED
Wed Apr 9 16:09:30 CEST 2003

Ulf Wiger wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Ingela Anderton wrote:
>
> >P.S Considering you usually get what you pay for and open
> >source customers do not pay anything I think they have a
> >fairly good deal ;)
>
> I don't want to nit-pick too much, but I would argue that
> many of the people on this list put significant time and
> effort into finding ways to improve OTP, and sometimes even
> handing you components *for free* that can be added to OTP
> with a fairly small effort on your part.
>
> So your argument may just as well be reversed. ;)

We do absolutely appreciate all the time and effort people take to try
and improve Erlang/OTP. I am not saying that open source users are
unimportant. We think they are important. Part of the open source idea
of course is that instead off giving us money for our product we get
feedback, code contributions and new ideas, and hence it is a good deal
for both us and the open source users. But that does not change the
fact that the commercial version is what keeps this project alive.

> I think much of this boils down to the issue of providing
> feedback about what is actually going on, which ideas are
> rejected because they're not good enough (and why!), which
> ideas are basically accepted, but not implemented due to
> time and resource constraints (and then how others may help)

Alas this also takes a lot of time. I do not think that we have
found a good solution to handle this yet. It seems to be evident that
the open source community would like to have more feedback. It is also
quite evident too me, that all suggested solutions so far adds too much
overhead for us, at least for our current situation.

--
/Ingela - OTP project manager