otp SO_BSDCOMPAT problems with recent Linux development kernels

mikpe@REDACTED mikpe@REDACTED
Mon Apr 7 16:56:34 CEST 2003

Running OTP on a recent Linux development kernel results
in the kernel log quickly filling up with messages like:

process `beam' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT

erts/emulator/drivers/common/inet_drv.c sets this option.
However, it is a no-op in the current stable Linux kernels
(2.4) and the development kernel recently obsoleted it.

The inet_drv.c code setting this option should either be
removed, since the option has no effect in non-ancient kernels,
or it should be restricted to 2.2 and older kernels.

I'll leave it to the OTP networking people to decide what
to do about this. I can contribute code for the kernel
version test needed at runtime, if you want to continue
using the option for older kernels,

/Mikael
The HiPE team