erlc,code,jungerl,install

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Wed Apr 2 09:30:01 CEST 2003

Hi!

Recently (yesterday) I tried to complile an erlgtk application, and
failed. The reason was that erlc could not find an
include_lib("erlgtk/include/gtk.hrl"). But, erlgtk install it self in
the erlang library path (i.e /usr/local/lib/erlang/lib/erlgtk-<vsn>).
When compiling from the erl shell everything is ok!! Why??? Bug??? Explain.

This leads to an other topic: When working with jungerl I can see the
need for installing the applications. I have suggested this before and I
do it again. The code server handling of the lib is to recusivly look in
the <prefix>/lib/erlang/lib and to sort out the latest
application/library to use. When installing erlgtk into the erlang
libraries I discovered quickly that this is a bad idea, since each time
I update the system I need to reinstall erlgtk. I suggest that we could
have a <prefix>/share/erlang/lib/ where we can install third party
applications like jungerl applications. The code behavior should be the
same as the normal library and the path configured at configure time!

To help applications to install at the correct location the jungerl
should have an automatic install target.

To help jungerl install target to be written, one (OTP) could (at least
on linux) write an erl.pc file for pkg-config or a shell script
erl-config. This could be a great help when writing erl_interface stuff
as well (i.e locating libraries and include files)

Peek in the configure.in for erlgtk for a scary example. Note the square
brackets and double qoutes and backquote and sed scripts etc hmmm (took
me hours to figure out ;-)

Regards

/Tony