Behaviours

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Mon Sep 9 00:53:23 CEST 2002

Lots of valid suggestions on behaviors came by in the past posts. To
them, I would like to abstract a little and define "OTP".

OTP consists of three things.

1 Erlang
2 A set of applications (or components)
3 A set of design principles.

These design principles allow you to build an application which exhibit
the exact same behavior as the applications which are part of the
release. In an Erlang system, you create your applications, package them
together with OTP's applications (So that the underlying system does not
differentiate between them), and then use the SASL application to "glue
and start them together".

As Lennart said, part of these design principles involves abstracting
away as much of the common code as possible, leaving only the specific
code to be implemented by the designers. All client - servers for
example follow the same structure. You start them, you stop them, you
send synchronous and asynchronous messages to them. By abstracting away
all of this common functionality into behavior modules, you can

A. Allow all your processes to display a uniform interface to what ever
application is controlling them.
B. Allow your processes to follow a certain protocol (Such as when
applying a software upgrade)
C. Centrally add/control features and support such as debug printouts,
stat monitoring, etc.
D. Allow you to control them uniformly (ex. Start/stop as a whole)
E. Allow a component based terminology

When ever processes follow the same patterns, we say they share the same
behavior. Based on this and all the other emails, I would suggest you
reread the design principle document, as the message it is trying to
portray might be a little clearer.

Give us a shout if it isn't..

Francesco
--