Erlang and GUI

Lennart Öhman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Sun Sep 8 16:39:39 CEST 2002

Hi,
perhaps Bjarne should defend his own powerpoint slides. But I believe
his point is that when developing telecom equipment the GUI must be
separate from the control processor (which usually is the CPU running
the application(s) programmed in Erlang).

1) You don't want the CP to have to use its power to handle windows
   etc.
2) You may anyway need many different ways to communicate with the
   CP since most customers have their own idea of how it should be
   managed. Therefore you rather think of a few commands which are
   allowed and then let the task of illustrating them to someone
   else.

If your application *is* the GUI things might very well come in a
another light. I believe however that there is a bug in GS in R8 for
win32 Erlang (!?). Sometimes GS refuses to start. It can be noticed
when trying to run some of the tools.

/Lennart