Impact of native compilation

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Fri Sep 6 19:22:06 CEST 2002

Hello,

We were wondering with Thierry Mallard about the impact of native compilation.
We tried to compare a big amount of floating point operations (100 millions).
The result is greatly improved over standard Erlang.
The result is also far from the C execution time.

We were wondering why the result was different. Is there many more operations
implied by Erlang ?

The test are at the bottom of this email.

I have not yet tested the same example with ETOS. Does someone know the
expected impact with ETOS ?

Thank you for you help.

--
Mickaël Rémond

-=-=-=-=-=-
Erlang test:

Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 2002.09.05 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]

Eshell V2002.09.05  (abort with ^G)
1> c(test2, [native, {hipe, [o3]}]).
{ok,test2}
2> test2:run().
{5820686,ok}
======= >Means 5.8 seconds.
[mremond@REDACTED test]$ g++ -O3 -o testmulti testmulti.cpp
[mremond@REDACTED test]$ ./testmulti
0.27user 0.00system 0:00.89elapsed 30%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
======= >Means less than 1 second.