New to Earlang

Lennart Öhman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Mon Nov 25 17:10:16 CET 2002

Inswitch Solutions - Erlang Evaluation wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Earlang, trying to evaluate if Erlang is appropiate for building a
> fault tolerance commercial telecom prepaid platform, based on computer
> telephony modules, with a replicated or distributed database of about 500.000
> to 1 millon subscribers.
>
>  Now,

Welcome to Erlang! :-)

I believe Erlang is really a good choice for you. You list all the right
words, fault tolerant and distributed to mention two.

Ulf Wiger, chief architect of the Ericsson success ATM-switch AXD301
pointed out an article in the Ericsson internal newpaper "Contact" some
time a go here on the mailing list. You will find an english version
following this link:

http://www.ericsson.com/about/publications/kon_con/contact/contarc/pdf/c19_02/14.pdf

AXD301 is part of the ENGINE concept and has a control processor programmed in
Erlang. Something like 1.5 million lines of Erlang code (Ulf, correct me if I'm
wrong).

> 1) Does anybody have a commercial good experience with Erlang?

There are many people working for Ericsson, no longer working for Ericsson
and even working for Nortel who can testify to that they have acomplished
a lot of "good things" with extremely high quality on time with Erlang.
Including my self.

> 2) Is it possible to obtain commercial email-support? If so, does anybody know
> how much it costs?

You can purchase a commercial license from Ericsson. There are also a few,
including
my own, consultancy companies who has Erlang experts.

Best Regards,

Lennart