Erlang is _the_ disruptive technology...

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Tue Nov 12 20:03:26 CET 2002

uw> Good job, Joe, but what was the deal with the pagedown button?! It
uw> seemed impossible to bring up the next slide on the first try.  (:

Last night I listened to all of the morning's presentations.  The
"page down" problem seemed to be one of two things that the audience
gave you some grief, if good-natured.  The other was the whole notion
of the COP principle of sharing nothing between processes/threads.
>From what I could tell of the reaction, Joe seemed to be speaking
heresy to some people there.

Joe: What was conversation like during breaks and at lunch?  Did
anyone take you to task for heresy, congratulate you for speaking
heresy ... or anything in between?

uw> Also very interesting was the speech by Todd Proebsting [...]

I haven't got there yet.

The PLT (?) Scheme demo, as part of Matthew Flatt's presentation was
impressive.  One features that caught my attention (darn it, my memory
is playing tricks on me; I only watched it last night!) was called an
"executioner".  It guarantees that cleanup tasks are done when a
thread died.  They're in a hierarchy so that if your parent's
executioner gets invoked, you know that your executioner will be
invoked, too.

-Scott