user interface

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Wed May 15 02:23:50 CEST 2002

Chris Pressey <cpressey@REDACTED> writes:
> Out of curiousity, any reason not to use Tcl/Tk 8.3.3 on Windows?  (At
> least I am fairly confident 8.3.x will not completely and utterly crash on
> Windows ME, and that is the most important aspect for me personally.)

ActiveState has changed the license between 8.3.2 and 8.3.3. We are
not allowed to redistribute binaries. Erlang/OTP OpenSource binary
distribution for Windows is exactly the same as the commercial one and
we prefer not to require a separate download and installation of
Tcl/Tk before installing Erlang/OTP. But this may be possible to solve
somehow later on, I just don't have time to look into this at the
moment. I don't use a wrapper so you can manually replace the Tcl/Tk
8.3.2 parts with 8.3.4 until this issue is solved.

> >   - I have to test it on Windows (I'm not a Windows person so this
> >     may take some time).
>
> I can help, probably not thoroughly, but I will be one Erlang user who
> will be using GS fairly intensively under Windows.  If something doesn't
> work, you'll hear about it  :)

I have run into trouble and this will take longer than expected.  I
have problems that seem to be deep inside the Tk imlementation and I
have to understand what is going on and find a way around it. Takes
lots of time to figure out I think :-(

> I still think a GS-compatible interface to erlgtk would be nice, and
> possibly even a feasible project someday, once I achieve some fluency in
> gtk.

This is a complete rewrite of GS I think. It has a front end and back
end but it smells Tcl/Tk all over the code. You may like GS or not but
it is quite impressive the amount of work put into coding GS from the
original authors.

kent