File system software???

Juan Quintela quintela@REDACTED
Thu Jun 27 17:11:28 CEST 2002

>>>>> "joe" == Joe Armstrong <joe@REDACTED> writes:

joe> On 27 Jun 2002, Gordon Beaton wrote:
>> On 27 Jun 2002 08:53:56 GMT, Joe Armstrong wrote:
>> > Does anybody know of some software I can use for the following:
>> >
>> >   - I want to create a simple file system *within* a bigger file
>> >   - I want this to be fast and in C
>>
>> mkfs kan build a *real*, mountable filesystem using any ordinary file.
>> Typically you create a large, empty file with e.g. "dd" then specify
>> that file as the "device" argument to mkfs.

joe> yes I've  tried this but then you  have to mount the  container via a
joe> loopback device - and to mount it you must be root etc.

joe> I forgot to say in my original post that I didn't want to mount the
joe> container or to have to have special privileges to use it.

joe> I want to *manipulate* the container by a normal unprivileged
joe> user-land program.

What filesystem?  There is a libext2fs.a lib that lets you do that,
but it is for ext2/3 filesystems, I know that at least at some point
it worked in windows, that means that it should be very portable.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy