Erl.exe input

Aldo Calpini dada.list@REDACTED
Fri Jun 14 14:43:47 CEST 2002

Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> admittedly the erlang program above is a bit simplistic. please feel
> free to make it more robust/portable by appending something like:
>
> init:stop().

that's fine for input given to erlang. but there's still a (maybe
related) problem with STDIN on windows.

consider this little program called pipe.erl (I didn't wrote it, was
probably posted to this mailing list):

 -module(pipe).
 -compile(export_all).

 start() ->
  spawn(pipe,init,[]).

 init() ->
  Port = open_port({fd, 0, 1},[eof]),
  loop(Port).

 loop(Port) ->
  receive
  {Port, {data, What}} ->
   Port ! {self(), {command, What}},
   loop(Port);
  {Port, eof} ->
   halt()
  end.

this should prints on STDOUT what it receives on STDIN. it all goes
well in this case:

  ;echo hello >inputfile
  ;type inputfile | erl -s pipe -nouser
  hello

but it doesn't work this way (again, I have to manually stop erlang):

  ;erl -s pipe -nouser <inputfile
  hello

  BREAK: (a)bort (c)ontinue (p)roc info (i)nfo (l)oaded
         (v)ersion (k)ill (D)b-tables (d)istribution

the two should be perfectly equivalent, but they're not.
I'm pretty sure this works on Linux because that's how several programs
from the Doug Bagley's Shootout (http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout)
works.
but the same programs ported on windows (http://dada.perl.it/shootout)
timed out whenever they try to read from STDIN.
so I still think there's a bug somewhere ;-)

cheers,
Aldo

__END__
$_=q,just perl,,s, , another ,,s,$, hacker,,print;