OTP design

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad.dumitrescu@REDACTED
Thu Jun 13 15:32:35 CEST 2002

Hi,

I was thinking about the way OTP is designed and came up with some
questions/proposals:

- there are some parts that seem to me to be possible to "open up" in order
to allow different implementations to be plugged in. One example is the code
module, where Joe had to hack it in order to make SAE working, but other
ways to handle that might be envisaged. Another is GS, where the backend
should be possible to switch to a non-TclTk one.
  Is fixing this something to be considered? Do you think it needs to be
"fixed"?

- what services from the underlying OS are needed by Erlang? The list I made
includes: file system, networking, I/O. Are there others? What I mean to ask
is: would it be possible for Erlang to run on a "bare" system, with only
these services provided? (I guess the Erlang node wold then more-or-less BE
the OS...)

thanks in advance. Regards,
Vlad