Erlang killer app?

isaac gouy igouy@REDACTED
Thu Jul 18 23:52:38 CEST 2002

Please excuse my ignorance of most things Erlang, and
my outsiders perspective.

>an Erlang application server efficient and easy
>to use might become an Erlang killer app
I had the impression that there already was an "Erlang
killer app" - building telcomm systems and apps?

I also got a vague impression that within Ericsson
there's ongoing debate about whether Erlang should be
used on this project or that project...?

As an outsider, I'd like to know that Erlang is still
used on new projects within the domain it was designed
for.

"Eddie" seems to play to Erlangs strengths
wonderfully. That was nearly 2 years ago. But at least
it played to Erlangs strengths.

Is string manipulation/web page templating something
that really plays to Erlangs strengths? Or would it be
more obvious to use Tcl/Perl/Python/... for that (with
something like IDX-spyerl?). I don't know.

I *believe* there's value in improving how Erlang
plays with other technologies, rather than trying to
do everything in Erlang. Yes, Erlang Server Pages let
the Erlang community create dynamic web pages, but
they won't bring outsiders to Erlang. Smalltalk Server
Pages never brought others to Smalltalk :-(

best wishes, Isaac

http://www.mozart-oz.org/ seems to build on the Erlang
heritage.