gen_server, gen_tcp question

Eric Merritt cyberlync@REDACTED
Wed Jul 17 05:11:23 CEST 2002

Guys,

 As some of you may know I am fairly new to erlang. I
have been poking around a bit getting my feet wet,
messing with yaws, mnesia, etc. Well I am finally
getting around to coding a fairly heft application as
a learning exercise and I have hit a stumbling block.
I am just begining to write the tcp comm part of the
application, I would love to follow the otp practices
and make use of gen_server. There even seems to be
some arcane way for gen_tcp and gen_server to work
together for a module. I can't, for the life of me,
figure it out. The documentation is pretty sparse in
this area as well.

 If I missed some documentation somewhere could one of
you point it out or if I missed something obvious just
let me know my error. Otherwise a little example would
be great.

I have spent a significant amount of time searching
the archives, the net, etc. Also I have attempted to
look at the inets and yaws source to figure this out.
The only problem there is that both the inets source
and the yaws source is largly undocumented. So I tend
to just get a headache accompanied by very little
understanding.

So if one of you could point me in the right direction
that would be great. Otherwise I may have just
revealed the true magnitude of my ingnorance :)

Thanks,
Eric