File system software???

Gerd Flaig gerd@REDACTED
Thu Jul 4 11:25:52 CEST 2002

Joe Armstrong <joe@REDACTED> writes:

>   In Windows/linux applications are made  of multitudes of files - now
> there mighthave to be lots of  small files in an application but there
> is  no  good  reason why  the  user  should  known  this -  all  files
> (including any new  files created by the application  should be neatly
> hidden away *inside* a container -  also you should not be able to see
> inside the container.

the container does exist already. It's called a directory. I don't see
why you would want to make it complicated to look inside the container
- users will always find ways to break stuff.

The only part that is missing would be the ability to execute
directories. This could easily be accomplished in most modern shells
by a few lines of configuration.

   $ tar xvzf app.tar.gz
   app/
   app/run
   app/data/
   app/data/a
   app/data/b
   app/data/c
   $ ./app
   [ translated to ./app/run ]
   [ app running happily forever after ]

Obviously, the application should not be dependent on the location of
the directory in the filesystem.

You could still use all standard utilities to manipulate stuff which
is a major win.

      Goodbyte, Gerd.
--
Gerd Flaig                     Technik                gerd@REDACTED
Bei Schlund + Partner AG       Erbprinzenstr. 4-12  D-76133 Karlsruhe