CVS, -vsn(), .app

Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi Chandrashekhar.Mullaparthi@REDACTED
Thu Jan 31 16:48:19 CET 2002

1. We use
-vsn('$Id: $ ').

This has more information than the $Revision$ tag. NO this wont break
anything.

2. You can use the ident utility to extract the contents of the RCS tags.
This is part of the CVS distribution.

cheers,
Chandru

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Snyder [mailto:hal@REDACTED]
Sent: 31 January 2002 15:31
To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: CVS, -vsn(), .app

We're working on a release system for our OTP modules using the
"$SECOND_ROOT" capability mentioned in section 3 of the sasl:systools
manual. So far, all is going well, but there are a few questions
relating to module versions in the .app file.

1. The CVS $Revision$ tag is as close as we can get (easily) to a pure
version control rev number in a .erl. It is autoexpanded to, e.g.:

-vsn("$Revision: 1.7 $").

Will this sort of version attribute in a module break anything?

2. It would be nice to grab the vsn attributes from freshly made .beam
files and use them to cook myapp.app from myapp.app.src. Is there a
tool somewhere in OTP (did I miss it?) that allows one to pull the vsn
attribute out of a .beam?

<snip>

Thanks!

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: