report browser and error_logger

Hal Snyder hal@REDACTED
Wed Jan 9 17:15:08 CET 2002

I think I am missing something obvious. The error_logger looks like a
very useful thing for tracking events in OTP and in one's own
applications.

I think the way to use it is thus:

  - add the sasl app to your .rel file
  - tune error file settings by setting sasl_error_logger,
    error_logger_mf_dir, and so forth in your .config file
  - write messages with error_logger:error_msg/1 and
    error_logger:info_msg/1
  - view results with rb: commands

1. Is the above typical in real OTP apps?

2. Is it common to use rb: interactively (not just start_log to a
file) in a production environment? If so, how?

Surely you don't leave an erlang shell open on a production node. (I
suspect that most production nodes run erl .... -detached.) But, the
interactive commands in rb: write to tty. So, in order to run them,
you need an erlang shell on the node in question. Attaching from
another node via Ctrl-g r [node] does not give you access to the
interactive commands of rb:, which still want to go to the stdout of
the original node. There is mention in the docs of copying log files
from a running area to somewhere else and using an offline node (with
error_logger configured to read/write in that copy area) to look at
the copies. But that sounds very awkward. How do real OTP apps do
this?

Thanks!