Fwd: Re: R8B-0 devpoll patch

Per Bergqvist per@REDACTED
Wed Feb 27 09:32:09 CET 2002

Missed to reply to list as well, sorry.

/Per

From: Per Bergqvist <per@REDACTED>
To: Kent Boortz  <kent@REDACTED>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 06:39:54 +0100

> This sounds very promising. For FreeBSD there is kqueue() that
> according to some tests is even more efficient.
>
> Do you know how stable these extensions are?

If you mean my patch it is of course rock solid(tm) ... Well at least
it works for me. :-)
I has not been through any kind of formal testing but a have run a
large number
of stress tests and tested a very large distributed application with
it ...

For the other poll extensions:
1) Solaris /dev/poll was introduces as a patch for Solaris 7 and is
official since
    Solarais 8.
2) /dev/epoll is still being developed by Davide. I will most likely
change somewhat
    with more ioctl. It is unlikely that the semantics of EP_POLL will
change.
3) I don't have FreeBSD running anywhere and deliberately skipped
this.

/Per