p2p summary (kind of)

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Thu Feb 14 12:19:36 CET 2002

On Thursday 14 February 2002 11:36 am, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> ><ranting mode on>
> >
> :-) nice to see someone really feeling for an issue!
> :
> >No the existing ones are crap :-) - Gutella is like wandering into a
> > random room in a random town in a random country and shouting at a random
> > group of passers by "has anybody got a fish"
>
> TRUE! but for only 20 peers, it works fine!
>
> >I've been thinking about the "discovery protocol" for some time - and
> >the answer is ..... "Dewey"
>
> Doesn't that cost money? I'm not even sure if they have a licensing
> programme yet (but I suppose the interest exists).

I don't know I hope not :-(

> >How do you find info in the p2p system - by *carefully* probing the peer
> >group and asking the right questions - by building catalogues and
> >maintaining trust neworks (do I believe this information)
>
> Absolutely!!!
>
> >JXTR says "Info is keyed by ten zillion bit (random) globally unique
> >identifiers."
>
> And Dewey says "Info is keyed by ten milion decimal digit hierarchical
> identifiers". Is it such a big difference?

Yes - an incredable difference. Dewey category code has a *meaning*
470 is "Italic Languages. Latin" - librarians spend their entire life
figureing out what code to give a particular thing.

The GUID is a random string.

> >But that *basicaly* is what JXTR is (at the most primitive level) - with
> >not even a hint as to HOW you go about finding the meading of the GUIDs.
>
> The advantage of UUIDs is that you can have one for exactly YOUR red Volvo
> S40 car's driving wheel, or something. Using Dewey, you can at most get a
> reference to any driving wheel, and link it to a reference to Volvos and to
> yourself as the owner...
>
> >No my infrastruce will use the dewey decimal system - and I will keep data
> >bases of who knows what and how reliable the information is
>
> Personally I think it is an internal matter. Applications should not have
> to see those identifiers at all. A naming service should take care of that,
> in either case. A DNS for the universe, maybe? :-)

IMHO the naming service is cenral and integral to the p2p system not outside
it.