yaws

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Tue Feb 12 12:04:49 CET 2002

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 11:32 am, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I may add something to the extensions... It isn't really an extension,
> but it would be a different application, but it fits well into the
> discussion, I think.
>
> I was about to start implementing a Gnutella client in Erlang, just for
> fun, but then I found out that the network is almost clogged up...

Yes - I did this as well Gnutella sucketh *greatly* - you get a flood of
totaally meaningless messages which are bascially junk. There is also
no way of killing of a down-stream query - terrible protocol - brain dead.

If you want a neato protocol check out Chord.

> and so I
> stumbled onto JXTA (www.jxta.org) which is a protocol specification and a
> platform for peer-to-peer networking.
>
> The current implementation is in Java (Sun has started the project), but I
> think it would be a nice thing to try to implement.

No JXTA also sucks (though less so than gnutella) - JXTA is a framework
for P2P but is IMHO not the way to go.

I'm more attracted to the idea of very small peer-2-peer groups (everybody
want's massive p2p groups) but what about the small one's. Why do
I have to use ICQ to get a connection to a friend? - why not use a small
p2p group for this. We could use yaws to keep track of the small p2p groups.

yaws could deligate a query to a p2p group, for example.

/Joe

 There are ongoing