Word origins (mnensia and mnemosyne)

Klacke klacke@REDACTED
Mon Dec 30 18:36:23 CET 2002

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 04:35:43PM +0100, Daniel Dudley wrote:
> I'm curious about the origins of the words mnensia and
> mnemosyne. A search in web dictionaries gives no answers,
> so I assume the words are concocted by the creators of the
> mnensia and mnemosyne applications -- but on what basis?

I initially nicked the db to Amnesia. In those days, Mnesia was
a ram only db. The idea was that when the power is shut down, the
db forgets everything, amnesia.

Once the OTP kit was getting ready for prime time, a couple
of serious suits came into my little research cubicle, closed
the door and said - Klacke, we must do something about this
non-proffesional-sounding name of the OTP database.

I dropped the A.

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
Alteon WebSystems                     -- everything is under control