Having nodes talk to each other.

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Fri Dec 20 14:49:23 CET 2002

* Louis van der Stam <Louis.van.der.Stam@REDACTED> [2002-12-20 14:12:42 +0100]:

> Hello,
>
> I have seen messages here concerning the problem I'm having, from the
>
> I'm having difficulty getting two Erlang nodes on the same machine
> communicate with each other. net_adm:ping('n1@REDACTED'). fails from n2 and vise
> versa. I'm starting the two erlang nodes with '> erl -sname n1' and '> erl
> -sname n2' respectively. Before starting I had edited the .erlang.cookie
> file in my HOME directory to contain mycookie without quotes. In my
> experience this in enough to get two nodes communicating.

I sometimes add problem, especially when my machine had no network connection
(dns related problem). You could try to launch the options:
erl -name n1@REDACTED

and then use this explicit node reference to try to access it.

> Is there a switch, ... that instructs erl to write some debuging/traceing
> information concerning connections and/or connection attempts and failure
> causes?

You can kill the epmd deamon and restart it explicitly in debug mode.
/usr/local/lib/erlang/bin/epmd -debug

The you will see a trace of what is happening from the network deamon point of view.

--
Mickaël Rémond