Was Mapping processes Now: ATOMS and atom_tab index

Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi Chandrashekhar.Mullaparthi@REDACTED
Thu Dec 19 02:50:48 CET 2002

Using global will create problems if you have more than one erlang node in a
mesh, all doing pretty much the same thing. And every call to
global:register_name, global:re_register_name, global:unregister_name makes
a synchronous call to every node in the mesh.

The PID of a process is unique within the node - I usually associate a name
to a process only when it is going to live a long time or when it should be
seen across a network of nodes. Why do you need this for such short-lived
processes? As Luke said in the previous thread, the PID can be used as or as
part of the request-id?

The limitation is documented. See
http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9b/doc/efficiency_guide/advanced.html#7.2

Chandru

-----Original Message-----
From: Valentin [mailto:valentin@REDACTED]
Sent: 18 December 2002 19:48
To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Fw: Was Mapping processes Now: ATOMS and atom_tab index

 We have discovered (the hard way) that number of atoms in ERTS is limited
 1024*1024, which limits the number of atoms to 1,048,576. The question was
 posted recently asking how to increase this limit, but judging from the
lack
 of response, I guess, there isn't one. We have found the code where this
 table was allocated, but I do not think that the recompilation with changed
 value will do any good, as it might have side effects.

 When the space in the atom_tab index is reached,  erlang crashes with the
 bang. And quite a sizable dump.
 It might be a good idea to mention this limitation somewhere in the manual
 (hopefully in ei_x_encode_atom(...) description as well).

 Eduardo, as well as Martin before him, had a good idea (that is, if you ask
 me). It seems odd that one has to use ets, or similar mechanism to register
 a short-lived processes, if such a mechanism already exist, but cannot be
 used because it requires an atom, as an argument.

 On the other hand, I've noticed that global:register_name/2 supports string
 as registration name argument as well. I wonder, would it be wise to use
 this in a context that Eduardo was describing, by using
 global:register_name/2 and global:whereis_name/1.

 What would be the catch (other than specific syntax that has to be used in
 order to send a message?) Any performance penalty?

 Valentin.

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: