Impressions of Mozart-Oz

James Hague james@REDACTED
Sat Dec 14 05:09:15 CET 2002

>Erlang may need work in some areas, but the lack of
>globals and the inclusion of things like single
>assignment variables are _features_, not bugs.

Right, I agree.  I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I can understand why the 100% no globals style can be difficult to
convince people of.  It's not a matter of being able to somehow get
by without them, it's a matter of it being more cumbersome in many
cases.  Erlang already lets you register processes and give ETS
tables globally defined names.  There's a reason for that.  It's past
the point of diminishing returns to have to pass the handle of a
global table all over the place.  That feature is there because it's
convenient.

And actually we already have updatable global variables in the guise
of ETS tables.  It's just harder to explain to someone than the
simple variable reference used in Python or Perl.

(Again, I'm not bashing Erlang here.)

James