Impressions of Mozart-Oz

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Mon Dec 9 18:14:41 CET 2002

Hi Bijan,

Agreed, Prolog is an industrial language, but I faced a steep learning
curve when I first encountered it. Not until I conceived the algorithms
as diagrams of logic gates, as in electronic schematics, that I
understood the implicit concurrency of Prolog. Powerful? Certainly. Easy
to use/debug? I'm not so sure, but I didn't use it that much to fully
understand how it works. And add to the picture green/red cuts that seem
to break the "logic" of Prolog.

Your point about the widespread use of XSLT is true, but it doesn't
extend its reach into general purpose programming (yet). And Lord is it
ugly! That may seem trivial, but I go cross-eyed reading xslt, which
kills my productivity, needless to say!

As far as practical and accessible languages go, Erlang scores high,
better than most.

Pete.