Buglet in gen_server?

Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi Chandrashekhar.Mullaparthi@REDACTED
Mon Dec 2 10:55:14 CET 2002

This syntax is documented.

Checkout http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9b/lib/stdlib-1.11.0/doc/html/index.html

Extract from the doc.

========

If ServerName={local,Name} the gen_server is registered locally as Name
using register/2. If ServerName=
{global,Name} the gen_server is registered globally as Name using
global:register_name/2. If no name is provided, the gen_server is not
registered

========

Not providing a name is useful when you want to have a supervised child
using the simple_one_for_one restart strategy.

cheers,
Chandru

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Fitzsimons [mailto:Bruce@REDACTED]
Sent: 02 December 2002 08:41
To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Buglet in gen_server?

Hi,

I've been using the emacs skeletons forever, and these do things such as:

gen_server:start_link({local, app}, app, [], []).

This syntax isn't documented in R9B, and is possibly deprecated, but the
interesting thing is that gen_server:call, and gen_server:start_link both
work, while gen_server:cast doesn't (and fails silently, the dangerous
little monster).

Is the ServerRef -> {local, app} syntax valid? deprecated? invalid?

Thanks,
Bruce

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: