Documentation suggestion

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Wed Aug 28 19:58:01 CEST 2002

James Hague writes:
 > In the list of applications in the left frame of the HTML docs, put "kernel"
 > and "stdlib" at the top of the list, separated from the rest of the
 > application by a blank line.  Two reasons:

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but it's a solution to a
combination of things which probably bug you too:

  1. I want to look at Erlang man pages as HTML, not 'man'

  2. Usually, I already know which man page I want to read, so
     choosing it from the (multi-page) modules index is a pain. I
     want to type it in, either in the browser or (better) on the
     command line.

The attached erlang program generates a pair of HTML pages which give
you a search box above the modules index. You type in, say, 'lis' and
it shows you the manpage for the lists module.

Works for me with Mozilla 1.1 and Netscape 4.7.

It also generates a shell script, so you can do this from the unix shell:

  % eman gen_t

and mozilla will open the manpage for gen_tcp. The latter only works
with mozilla, but it's easy enough to make it work with netscape. No
idea about IE.

Matt
http://www.corelatus.se/