[Fwd: Re: Erlang killer app?,]

Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D. shrogers@REDACTED
Wed Aug 28 03:37:41 CEST 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Erlang killer app?,
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:36:01 -0500
From: "Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D." <shrogers@REDACTED>
To: Mickael Remond <mickael.remond@REDACTED>

Mickael Remond wrote:

 > I think we also need:
 > - A page templating system. I made preliminary tests of an Erlang Page
 > templating system based on ZPT (Zope) and I think it fits well to
Erlang. It
 > seems to be a good choice.
 > - A way to described the logic of the web application itself. An MVC
approach
 > might be a good choicefor this task. I still need to think about the
way to do
 > it. In Erlang terms, we need a web application behaviour (like OTP
behaviours).
 > - A way to be able to have several independant Web Application running
 > independantly. J2EE approach is good on this side. You can add a
directory with
 > a config file describing the behaviour of your application and the
service it
 > needs. This way we could for exemple run a new Erlang node to provide
a mnesia
 > database to application that need serialisation mechanism.
 >
 > We would have here a good application server that can become a killer
app here.

Page templates are one of Zope's better features.

Perhaps a distributed weblog server supporting the "Blogger
API":http://plant.blogger.com/api/index.html would be a good "killer
app" for Erlang.  "Weblogs":http://newhome.weblogs.com/historyOfWeblogs
are a rapidly growing phenomenon.  They could benefit from Erlang's
distributed, robust cpabilities.

Steve
--
email: steve@REDACTED