xref

Bengt Kleberg eleberg@REDACTED
Mon Apr 29 12:33:32 CEST 2002

> From: Sean Hinde <Sean.Hinde@REDACTED>

> > Peter H|gfeldt <peter@REDACTED> wrote:

...deleted

> > Coming from a Prolog background, it never ceases to amaze me why
> > the Erlang compiler (and experienced Erlang programmers) insist
> > on having singleton variable warnings turned off...
>
> Could it be because they are almost undocumented? All I could find was a
> mention in the compiler release notes and an entry in erl_lint (which I have
> never even opened before, and probably wouldn't if it didn't appear in a
> documentation search on "warn_unused_vars")
>
> Perhaps R9 will bring a list of ALL useful compiler flags into the COMPILER
> documentation.

an inexperienced user is the kind of person that will benefit most from
compiler warnings. aforementioned inexperience makes this the least
likely person to be able to turn them on.

therefore:
compiler warnings should be turned _on_ by default

experienced programmers that know what they are doing can turn them
off when needed.

bengt