no badarg thrown by spawned process - quiet ext

Sameer Pendse sameerp@REDACTED
Fri Apr 19 14:17:53 CEST 2002

Uffe,

i changed the spawn/3 to proc_lib:spawn/3 & did the wrong io:format. the
spawned process still died quietly without throwing a proper 'badarg' EXIT.
i need to get this resolved because quiet death's are a nuisance to debug.

i can send you the .erl source code if you like so you can try for yourself.

rsvp.

cheers
sameer

-----Original Message-----
From: Ulf Wiger [mailto:etxuwig@REDACTED]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 5:42 PM
To: Sameer Pendse
Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Re: no badarg thrown by spawned process - quiet ext

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Sameer Pendse wrote:

>i am using r8b-1 on win2k.
>
>in a spawned process, if i do a io:format("...~w",L) where L is
>a list, then my spawned process exits without a badarg error. if
>i put the L in a [L], it works fine. if i do the badop in a
>top-level process, i do get the badarg error.

Uhh, the second argument to io:format/2 is supposed to be a list.
Thus, io:format("...~w", [L]) is the correct form.

If your process was created with spawn/3, och spawn_link/3, you
will not get any SASL crash report. If you instead use
proc_lib:spawn[_link]/3, you will get a crash report when the
process dies.

/Uffe