Erlang language issues

Bengt Kleberg eleberg@REDACTED
Fri Apr 19 07:37:22 CEST 2002

> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:19:24 +0200
> From: Robert Virding <robert.virding@REDACTED>

> The trouble with blocked comments is that it can become very difficult
> to see if a section of code has been commented out.  Especially if it a
> large block extending over one "page", which is generally when you use
> them.  Yes I know you can have convetions like beginning each commented
> out line with a specific character, for example '*' in C-style comments
> but if you are going to do that then you might a well use ine comments.
>
> That is why I have been against block comments.  If they are so great
> why were line comments added to C++?

block comments are much more difficult to read than line comments. especially c
style block comments that do not nest. presumably this is why line comments got
added to c++.

the block-comment-for-erlang question/issue seems to have to do with some
special case in text fomatting/processing where erlang will be inserted into
something else.

bengt