generated file names

Laszlo Varga Laszlo.Varga@REDACTED
Wed Apr 17 11:45:57 CEST 2002

Hi,
I'm facing to a problem which is rather interesting than hard.
I 'm going to generate a big variety (>10^8) of files, with (almost) unique
names. (Files can be deleted after use.) Different files should have
different names, but the same content can be stored under different names.

One technique may be using some seed information that defines the file's content
in the file name. In my case this is possible, but I'd prefer something more
'cryptic'.

The other way I can see is including an on-the-fly generated unique string
into the file name.
For example
	erlang:ref_to_list(make_ref()).
It is unique enough, but not really 'cryptic' again, and moreover
ref_to_list is something condemned dirty.

Other suggestions?

Thanks
laszlo

mailto:ethvala@REDACTED