edoc structure

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Thu Apr 4 08:47:28 CEST 2002

>It would help if you provided a DTD: it's essential for validation of the
>document grammar, and later validation of the document instances.

Yes, of course. I just thought that the DTD is much harder to read if one
isn't used to reading DTDs.

>Are there no existing DTDs with existing tools which would do the job?

Couldn't find any. More precisely, there is Erlang specific information that
would be difficult to store using a general DTD - it would come more or less
to using something like
	...<thing name="behaviour">
		gen_server
	   </thing>...
or even
	...<thing>
		<name>
			behaviour
		</name>
		<value>
			gen_server
		</value>
	   </thing>...

I did write a DTD, which I attach here, and also tried to document it as a
W3C schema. However the resulting HTML file is ~40k zipped and I'm not sure
if everyone would be happy to have the mailbox clogged with it. Let me know
if it's interesting.

best regards,
Vlad

<!ELEMENT application (name, version, authors?, description?, since?,
deprecated?, see?, modules, references?, copyright?)>
<!ELEMENT authors (author+)>
<!ELEMENT deprecated (description)>
<!ELEMENT description (briefdescription, fulldescription?)>
<!ELEMENT function (name, parameters, return, description?, equiv?, since?,
deprecated?, see?)>
<!ATTLIST function
  exported NMTOKEN(yes | no) #REQUIRED

<!ELEMENT functionref (modulename?, functionname)>
<!ELEMENT module (name, version?, authors?, behaviour?, description?,
since?, deprecated?, see?, types?, functions)>
<!ELEMENT name (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT parameter (name, valuetype, description?)>
<!ELEMENT see (seelabel*, functionref*)>
<!ELEMENT since (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT version (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT modules (module+)>
<!ELEMENT references (usageexamples?, websites?, listservs?, newsgroups?,
books?)>
<!ELEMENT copyright (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT author EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST author
  name CDATA #IMPLIED
  email CDATA #REQUIRED
  website CDATA #IMPLIED

<!ELEMENT briefdescription (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT fulldescription (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT parameters (parameter+)>
<!ELEMENT return (valuetype, description?)>
<!ELEMENT equiv (functionref)>
<!ELEMENT modulename (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT functionname (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT behaviour (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT types (type+)>
<!ELEMENT functions (function*)>
<!ELEMENT valuetype (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT seelabel (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT usageexamples (usageexample+)>
<!ELEMENT websites (website+)>
<!ELEMENT listservs (listserv+)>
<!ELEMENT newsgroups (newsgroup+)>
<!ELEMENT books (book+)>
<!ELEMENT valuetype (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT type (name, value, description?)>
<!ELEMENT usageexample EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST usageexample
  href CDATA #REQUIRED
  role CDATA #IMPLIED