Your own behaviours

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Thu Sep 27 14:51:22 CEST 2001

Chandru,

This is an issue I have visited before.  The first time we packaged
an "application" I found it odd that the top module, having behaviour
application, did pretty much nothing but start top level supervisor
which was implemented in another module.  I wondered why the supervisor
couldn't also be the application master.  Looking at the callbacks
which the two behaviours have I saw no conflict.  Then I looked at
OTP for examples and that is just what I found.  Some notable modules
which behave as both supervisor and application master are kernel
and sasl.

Here is the example from kernel.erl:

	-module(kernel).

	-behaviour(application).
	-behaviour(supervisor).

I wrote a shell script to find all examples (included below) and
here is the list from R7B-3:

./lib/sasl/src/sasl.erl
./lib/kernel/src/kernel.erl
./lib/mnesia/src/mnesia_event.erl
./lib/mnesia/src/mnesia_sup.erl
./lib/mnemosyne/src/mnemosyne_sup.erl
./lib/mnesia_session/src/mnesia_session_top_sup.erl

	-Vance

Vance Shipley
Motivity Telecom Inc.
+1 519 579 5816