Solaris 2.8 OpenSource build comments

Erik Pearson erikp@REDACTED
Mon Oct 8 23:53:33 CEST 2001

I just finished building the latest OpenSource Erlang/Hipe
snapshot on solaris 2.8.  Excellent job!

I do have some feedback for the maintainers or anyone else
interested in building under solaris in the future.  The only snags
centered around which 'm4' and which 'sed' are used during the make
process.  The GNU utilities work, but some of the solaris-included
ones won't.

1)  Hipe needs GNU m4:

m4 -Ibeam -Isys/unix -Isparc-sun-solaris2.8
   -Izlib -Ihipe hipe/hipe_sparc_bifs.m4 >
sparc-sun-solaris2.8/hipe_sparc_bifs.S

Both /usr/ccs/bin/m4 and /usr/xpg4/bin/m4 fail from the -I option, which
leads
to a HUGE number of unresolved symbols later in the make process.

I didn't read any Hipe specific build docs so if they exist GNU m4 might be
mentioned there.  Perhaps it could be mentioned in the top-level README
file as "Optional".

2) /usr/xpg4/bin/sed error from missing newline:

sed -e 's;%VSN%;2001.10.07;' cosProperty.appup.src >
../ebin/cosProperty.appup
sed: Missing newline at end of file cosProperty.appup.src.

Both /bin/sed and GNU sed work.

Hope someone can use this information.
Again, excellent job!

--erikp--