Erlang and Sybase/Oracle on Linux

Martin J. Logan martin@REDACTED
Thu Nov 29 00:44:19 CET 2001

Sean Hinde wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had this working with the intersolv ODBC driver without any problem -
> you can download a trial copy but it is extremely expensive to buy.
>
> The project I talked about at the EUC to do an interface direct from erlang
> to the Oracle Call Interface C library has kind of ground to a halt. We've
> decided not to use Oracle here, and I've been up to my neck in real work for
> weeks. When I get a minute, sigh.. I'll put what I have done up on the
> sourceforge site.
>
> Rgds,
> Sean

The easysoft stuff does not go in without a hich but with minor tweaking it
works perfectly. We have done a few boxes and it is a simple as;
1. Installing the oracle client libraries. I use oracle linux8701.tar

2. set ORACLE_HOME to /u1/oracle

3. Next we place the .ini files in /etc and change them them from all the
"cantest" stuff to
whatever we will be using for our application.
Make sure that the name of the db is mirrored in the the file -
"/u1/oracle/network/admin/
tnsnames.ora",  in my case the file is such:

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File:
/u1/oracle/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

CANTEST.VAIL =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = admin_test)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = cantest)
    )
  )

4. Instal easysoft and completing the licencing procedures.  I use easysoft:
es-oracle-0.0.03.li untar to /u1

5. Make the erlang ODBC portion with the proper paths to the easysoft code
included.
    put odbc libs in <path>lib/odbc-<vsn> where path is the place where you
install erlang and vsn is the version of the erlang
    ODBC  you are using

While I'm sure that the easysoft code does not install in quite as simple a
manner as the intersolv stuff the upshot it that it is rather inexpensive. It
runs for $100. I think that the savings are worth a very small amount of work.
        Good Luck,
        Martin