fix required for HTML docs?

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Mon Nov 19 15:30:24 CET 2001

Daniel Solaz <dsolaz@REDACTED> writes:
> all pages have BODY tags that set the background color to white but do
> not define text and link colors, so browser settings are applied
> producing white text on white background
>
> to better understand me (or to understand me at all) see
> http://www.lepidoptero.com/erlang/snapshot.png
>
> the Internet is full of pages that suffer from this defect; as a matter
> of fact, my own pages did lack full color definition before I swapped
> colors, too, simply because I hadn't even thought about it
>
> the HTML docs are terrific but this flaw is very annoying, so can I
> request that it be fixed in the next release?

This is now noted in our internal bug tracking system.
(I never understood why some page generating software insist
generating the link color definitions. Now I know.)

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 Roger Price wrote:
> The correct solution is to remove all cosmetic markup, e.g. elements such
> as <CENTER> and <FONT>, and attributes such as BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF", from
> the source HTML.  The style for the entire documentation could then be
> specified with one single CSS style sheet.  Daniel could change the style
> sheet locally to get his "upside down" effect, and many others with
> special needs could also be satisfied. See the W3C Web Accessibility
> Initiative http://www.w3c.org/WAI/
>
> Using this technique, I control the style of over 100 Mbyte of electronic
> proceedings of the ACM Multimedia SIG using one small file. See
> http://woodworm.cs.uml.edu/~rprice/ep/index.html

I want to use CSS but don't find it that easy. The browsers all have
various bugs that makes it hard to define the layout with CSS. See

  http://css.nu/pointers/bugs.html

I will look into how easy it would be to change the DocBuilder program
to add "class" directives and remove the FONT tags. Maybe you could
help creating a usable CSS definition file?

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 Vance Shipley wrote:
> While we're on about the html, since R8B-0 the toc.html page
> (which is the frame to the left with the list of sections)
> has been screwed up for me on my browser (MSIE v5.5).  The
> reason for this seems to be the line-height tag:
>
>  P  { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height :
> 13px }
> Removing the indicated section above fixes the problem.

I added line-height to avoid vertical scrolling for most users.
This bug was found before the release but the fix got lost somehow.
This is now noted in our internal bug tracking system and will be
corrected.

kent