Feature Requests

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Sat Nov 10 01:53:22 CET 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:59:45 -0000
Sean Hinde <Sean.Hinde@REDACTED> wrote:

> All,
>
> While we are dreaming here's a few thoughts on what I'd like to see: (A
> bit early for Christmas I know but here goes anyway)
>
> New features in applications:

I would like to add a couple of my own wishes to this list...

gs: It would be really nice if gs could allow your code to intercept
messages, instead of just reacting to them after they've happened.  Or at
least, a way to create a window with no close button.

parse_tools: leex!  :)

> New language features:

Some kind of 'string' data type, a compromise between list and binary.

"Abstract Patterns", or, failing that, a documented internal format and/or
a behaviour for parse transforms.

Guarded and derived record fields, possibly done with a parse transform,
possibly exploiting a recordname == modulename association so that we
can pretend we're calling "methods" on "objects" when we're really just
calling functions with records.

I would be happy to help, esp. with the last two ideas.

> Platform issues:

Stand Alone Erlang

BEAM MPU  :)

Chris