Some new mnesia benchmarking results

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Wed Nov 7 14:23:07 CET 2001

Hi,

> agree that mnesia is now getting ready for prime time as long
> as you have small
> records ;-).
> (Results are even more impressive on my little 1.7 GHz P4 Linux box )

Now Linux is a supported platform maybe this is the way to go..

> I have a nasty problem that I still haven't resolved.
> I you have more and larger records than you have available
> RAM the system will
> get on its knees.

I guess this is the nature of in memory databases.. The alternative is where
the db engine manages caching of regularly used objects in RAM and it dips
into disk to get other records. This is getting a long way from mnesia's
goals I guess.

> Does anyone have a solution on how to store 10Mx2K records
> with mnesia without
> buying
> 20GB RAM ?

It's probably worse than this as Erlang can only(!) address 4G of RAM. I see
this as the main limit now.. and fixing it is probably not trivial. One for
the "feature request" page.

Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: