Problem setting DefaultQoS with Notification Service

Niclas Eklund nick@REDACTED
Wed May 2 14:02:38 CEST 2001

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Jani Launonen wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> previously I had problems setting QoS-parametres - that is now passed.
> After trying to circumvent the problem by using java to call
> EventChannelFactory:create_channel (which didn't succeed by some weird
> problem with JacORB's idl-compiler), I used cut & paste -method from the
> sources and after reading little bit manuals and tutorials I could
> construct a kind of working record which was accepted by
> EventChannelFactory:create_channel. Jesh! There only seems to be problem
> with JacORB's understanding of IORs with "wstring inside Anys" - even after
> a patch to recent JacORB 1.3.21. This is off topic but just to tell the
> status that no one is going to bother with the previous problem.
>
> >[cut introduction]
> >
> >There's an example use of Notification Service at page
> >http://www.erlang.org/doc/r7b/lib/cosNotification-1.0.2/doc/html/ch_example.html#7.1
> >which has this code:
> >
> >	%% Create a new event channel.
> >	Ch = 'CosNotifyChannelAdmin_EventChannelFactory':
> >        	  create_channel(ChFac, DefaultQoS, DefaultAdmin),
> >
> >The question is, whether there is these DefaultQoS and DefaultAdmin
> >defined somewhere or are these just put as an place holders here? Or is
> >there a way to create channel with default QoS/Admin values by some other
> >function? Page
> >http://www.erlang.org/doc/r7b/lib/cosNotification-1.0.2/doc/html/ch_QoS.html#6
> >does say, what the default values are, so these must be hidden somewhere in
> >the source. I've tried to find out this DefaultQoS (DefaultAdmin) (or
> >similar) in the source, but failed so far. Could someone help me with this
> >one as I'm bit confused with the record syntax in Erlang (and especially
> >those Corba mappings) and haven't succeeded creating default values by myself.

Hello!

In the User's Guide (6.1.1) you find a listing of the default QoS-service
settings and the range of each key. If you do not include a certain key
when creating a new channel these will be used and inherited by its
children and grand-children (i.e. Admin's and Proxies).

To be able to help you with your problem regarding the wstrings I need to
know which Orber-version you're using. I've tested sending wchar/wstring
encapsulated within an any-datatype using VisiBroker. Orber have also been
tested using JacORB (I do not know if wchar/wstrings have been included
in these tests). FYI, sending a wstring is more expensive than string's
since each wchar is encoded/decoded as ushort due to that Orber only
support Java Unicode for wchars; CORBA wchar can range from 1 to 4 bytes.

Regards / Nick

Niclas Eklund, Ericsson Network Core Products, +46-8-72 75765