Fun with Erlang (was Re: Stand Alone Erlang for Windows. yet again)

Alexander Williams thantos@REDACTED
Sat Mar 17 11:09:17 CET 2001

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 10:06:05AM +0100, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> wouldn't references work well here? with today's system dynamic atoms à la Gensym are not GCed...

They might, if we were talking about Erlang-level constructs, but
we're not.  In reality, we're talking about the mapping-key between
Game Level objects and the Erlang Processes that contain the actual
code being executed.  Pids aren't stable entities, they'll end up
changing between one run of the server and the next.  Object
References really should be unique across multiple nodes, if we want
to allow for interlinked servers in the future (or even one MU*
distributed over multiple nodes).

Now, the hard part of this bit will be managing the linkage of Pid to
Persistant ID to the state information restored from the database when
bringing it back from the dead ... that'll be the challenge.

--
Alexander Williams (thantos@REDACTED)               | In the End,
  "Blue Jester needs food."                             | Oblivion