Fun with Erlang (was Re: Stand Alone Erlang for Windows. yet again)

Alexander Williams thantos@REDACTED
Fri Mar 16 14:00:40 CET 2001

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:25:03PM +0100, Mickael Remond wrote:
> I have read your whole message and I must admit that the "picture" you
> are proposing is very exciting.
> We will place it on the Erlang-fr page and translate it in French, if
> you do not mind.

By all means, people from all countries should be exposed to the
horror of my ideas and imaginings.  :)

> I agree with you on Worldforge ambition, that is why I was first
> interested in a MUD like approach, which is much more established.
> But Thierry Mallard convinced me to have a look at Worldforge. We then
> come to think that an Erlang approach could make this project feasible.
> We are both very pragmatic and are interested in first having some code
> working and then improving it.

I'd love to see the basic core systems implimented in Erlang and
supporting some kind of "MU*-like text-based VR" before I buy into the
Worldforge plan; I've been following it for a while (as a good
MU*-geek should) and, while they have some good single-scenario
systems, I don't think they have the genericity to provide the kind of
experience I look for online (not the least reason being that anyone
can spell "cow" but I'll be damned if I can draw one).

If any approach COULD improve the feasibility, its likely Erlang.

> Your reflexion on the game design by process is very insteresting.
> Maybe we could start working together on a real working and playable
> implementation ?

Years of actually thinking about and beating on the problem.  I'm
probably one of the few folks who've both worked on Coda (a
Scheme-based MU* core) and POO (a Python-based system).  I'd certainly
be interested in helping out wherever I can, even if its purely on
design and structure.  (One of the main problems I see in such
projects most of the time is everyone wants to get in there and beat
code without thinking of overall design first; I do not suffer that
problem.  Probably because I find design more fun than
implimentation.  :))

--
Alexander Williams (thantos@REDACTED)               | In the End,
  "Blue Jester needs food."                             | Oblivion