Choking on Syntactic Sugar

Hakan Stenholm etxhste@REDACTED
Tue Mar 13 19:17:28 CET 2001

>Maurice,
>
>On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 06:09:57PM +1100, Maurice Castro wrote:
>> My question is in 3 parts:
>>
>>       1) is this behaviour desirable
>
>Yes,
>
>>               - note it is pure syntactic sugar for [$[, $^ | S0]

I'm a littel confused here so I would be happy if anyone would care to explain.

After reading the documentation I get the impression that ++ is simply a short
form of lists:append/2.
I guess that this is not the case consdering that only arithmetic expressions
that evaluate to constants are allowed in a patterns.
So what exactly is a ++:

"[^" ++ S0  is the same as  [$[, $^ | S0]

but what would happen in

fun(List1 ++ List2) -> ...

is it legal ? we only know what List1 is at run time so there shouldn't be any
way to expand it to some constant pattern as in reg4("[^" ++ S0) ?