Erlang Development Environment

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Wed Mar 7 15:35:52 CET 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Sean Hinde wrote:

>I do think though that at least a dedicated erlang editor with:

I had a vague ambition to do this, and as a result, posted the
lines-1.0 contrib. I didn't get any further than that. (:

>1. Function name completion on tab,

...would be nice.

>2. 'f1' to take you to the detailed doc for that function

We (AXD 301) have that capability for OTP functions (well, modules, at
least) via CCviewer. (not for our own code, alas, because the docs are
not in an easily parsable format... embarrassing.)

>3. or even just bring up the possible function headers with the
>names of the variables (kind of like you get when entering an
>equation in M$ Excel) - this could even work without access to any
>docs and for our own functions in our own modules in the current
>path.

Yes, nice.

>4. Click to jump to the function implementation.

We do this through CCviewer, as well as being one click away from
listing all known calls to a particular function.

If anyone else wants to give CCviewer a spin, I'll gladly help out in
porting it to another design environment. It might be some work, but I
think it's well worth it.

>One even hears rumours that the majority of progammers in at least
>parts of a certain large Erlang using telecoms supplier don't even
>use emacs but instead use a wide array of vi, textpad, notepad etc.

These rumours are totally unfounded, of course.  (:

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Senior System Architect                      mob: +46 70 519 81 95