linked-in drivers once again

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Thu Jun 28 05:05:06 CEST 2001

> I have written an erlang file 'erlToeasiest.erl' that communicates with
> the C file 'easiest_drv.so'.  (see attachment for the details).  The C
> file 'easiest_drv.c' correctly compiles (and has kindly been checked by
> Vance Shiley). I therefore mainly have questions about the
> 'erlToeasiest.erl' file.

I only checked it as far as getting your init function working so that
the driver would load with erl_ddll.

> - I use the following statement:
> Port = open_port({spawn, "./easiest_drv.so"}, [])
> instead of using the statement:
> Port = open_port({spawn, "easiest_drv"},[])
> The first statement works, the latter does not. Yet I am confused
> because all the examples I have seen follow the second convention.

Why the former works is a fluke.  The latter doesn't work because you
have not initialized erlang_port to -1.  You are checking to see if
it is -1 and if not returning -1 to abort:

	if (erlang_port != (ErlDrvPort) -1)
		return((ErlDrvData) -1);

> Since I am new to Erlang and C programming ...

The reason that the fisrt example works is one of the tricky things
about debugging C programs.  Sometimes things that shouldn't work do.
When you ran this program with that calling syntax erlang_port just
happened to end up as -1.  Since you hadn't initia;ized it it could be
anything, no guarantees.  Often with uninitialized variables/pointers
things will work and then later when you make a perfectly valid code
change they stop working.  You rack your brain staring at the new code
thinking it must be bad but it isn't.  You just moved things around and
now your variable/pointer has a value that doesn't work for you.

This is one of the reasons we code in Erlang!  :)

	-Vance

Vance Shipley
Motivity Telecom Inc., Telephony Signaling Software
+1 519 579 5816
vances@REDACTED