Curious behaviour of gen_tcp

Alexis Lê-Quôc alexis@REDACTED
Wed Jan 31 20:24:31 CET 2001

Thanks again for all the quick responses.

I've taken your advice by catenating binaries in one move.

As far as the gen_tcp problem is concerned, I've tracked it down to the
other process closing the connection before all data were sent. Thus the
tcp_closed was received as I should have expected :-(. What works is to wait
for some time before actually closing the socket at the server end
(non-erlang). What does not is to remove that fix and have the server socket
lingering on close. I have not found any way to set lingering options on an
erlang socket. I'm still looking at the problem...

Thank you again for the responses.

Alexis

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED
[mailto:owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED]On Behalf Of Sean Hinde
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 9:48
To: 'Alexis Le-Quoc'; erlang-questions@REDACTED
Cc: prakash@REDACTED
Subject: RE: Curious behaviour of gen_tcp

Hi,

I don't know the answer to your question about whether it is possible to
receive a tcp_closed before all the data is received from a socket, but
another observation may be of interest.

In R7B when you do concat_binary it will create a completely new binary.
This means that every time you go round your loop and append a new bit of
data you create a new copy of the entire buffer plus the new bit. This can
very quickly chew up all your memory..

It is generally better for large amounts of data if you maintain a list of
binaries and concatenate them in one go at the end. You can also use size/1
to get the size of a binary:

 loop_busy(Queue, Socket, Buffer) ->
   receive
     {tcp, Socket, Data} ->
       loop_busy(Socket, [Buffer, Data]);
     {tcp_closed, Socket} ->
       io:fwrite("Finished ~w", [size(concat_binary(Buffer))]),
       loop_idle(Queue);
     Any ->
       io:fwrite("Received ~w~n", [Any])
   end.

I'm not sure whether this behaviour changes in R8 with more support for
segmented binaries...

- Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: