Protocol Mixup in JInterface from R7B-0

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Wed Feb 28 22:30:07 CET 2001

Ok, I realize that between release of the OTP distribution that there
may be some issues with protocol changes that may make them not able
to communicate with each other, but one would think that R7B-0's
JInterface could speak to R7B-0's ERTS.  But....

In OtpOutputStream.java at line 421 and 424 the method write_long
uses writeBE to send the long value. (As a smallBig on the wire,
whatever that is.)  This causes the following behavior to show up.

I'm sending the value 0x08000000.  (Bit 27 is the only bit set.)

Erlang to Java ->

	Erlang: 134217728
	Java:   134217728

Java to Erlang ->

	Java:   134217728
	Erlang: 8

Clearly this is wrong.

I ran a whole set of test cases with various values in the upper 5
bits of the Java field and every time what I saw in Erlang was the
value bit shifted right 24 bits.

I changed the calls at lines 421 and 424 to writeLE and rebuilt my
entire erlang installation.

Now I see the proper behavior:

Java to Erlang ->

	Java:   134217728
	Erlang: 134217728

Better:

	Java:   983394991
	Erlang: 983394991

Has this error been fixed in subsequent releases??  This is our 3rd
patch to JInterface (the others are the famous acceptor null pointer
fix and the patches I posted earlier with the hash functions implemented
for the OtpErlang objects which were missing them).

Patch file is attached for those interested.

--
Shawn.

  ``If this had been a real
    life, you would have